Tuesday, April 5, 2011

What a start

   Now I knew that the Rangers were going to be good this year, and I figured they would win the series with the Red Sox. Also I knew they had one of the best lineups in the game this year, I didn't know however that it would be this explosive this early. I know that if Cruz is healthy he can dominate but the power he has shown the first 4 games has been unreal. I love small ball baseball and I also love low scoring games but the thing is the Rangers don't just have power they can play small ball as well. The one thing that I am a littlw worried about is the back end of their rotation. I know Harrison's first outting was outstanding especially for him, but he has mad the starting rotation the last couple of years only to fall short after 6 or so starts. He did face on the best offenses he will see all year in his first start so that could be a good thing. But the back end is still unproven and there for I am not going to get excited just yet. I still have high hopes for Webb and Hunter both when they return, they don't need to lights out but as long as they can give the Rangers quality starts then they will be fine. The big question to me is tonights pitcher Ogando he is more of a bull pen type of guy but since the injuries to Webb and Hunter leave the Rangers with 2 less starter he has to fill in. He was supposed to be the closer if Feliz was moved to a starter roll but the Rangers obviously didn't have that much faith in him, seeing as how they said the reason Feliz wasn't starting was cause how bad their bull pen was this spring. Lets hope he can forget about any poor outtings he had during the spring and give the Rangers a quality start tonight so they can take home their 5th W in a row.

   The Rangers aren't the only team off to a hot start there are a few teams starting hot and one of them is of course the Phillies. Who actually let a great start by Halladay get away from them in the early innings only to win with a walk off single in the 9th inning. That was their first game the other 2 haven't been as close and as we all expected their pitching has really been lights out. To start of the season their ace Halladay went 6 innings giving up 1 run off 5 hits with no walks and 6 K's, unfortunately for him his team wasn't able to score any runs until after Halladay had left the game so he wasn't able to pick up the win with his great outting. Their next game Cliff Lee got the start and he was lights out as always going 7 innings giving up 3 runs off 4 hits walking none and 11 K's, the Phillies bats seemed to have woken up by Lee's start as they were up 8-3 when he left the game giving him the W. On to their 3rd Oswalt who continued the pitching dominance that we all expected of the Phillies starters. He went 6 innings giving up 2 runs off 5 hits and the 1 and only walk the Phillies starters have allowed all season to go along with 6 K's and the W.

   Now for the O's who are also a perfect 4-0 to the surprise of many, they have had a red hot start with their league leading pitching in everything possible. They have a combind era of 1.00 a whip of .89 and other teams BA against them is .152 also they lead the leauge in quality starts with 4. Their bats haven't got there just yet but their pitching and solid defense is what is carrying them to this 4-0 start, oh yeah I forgot to mention they are doing all this without their #1 pitcher! I am not saying the O's are going to win the AL of even with their division but they will compete and they are a team to watch this year as a darkhorse. Everyone was talking about the A's and all the talent they added on the mound but the O's have just as much talent they are just a tad younger.

   The Reds are also off to a great start and without one of their starting pitchers as well. This season has so far lived up to all my expectation and then some. Granted there has been a lot more injuries to key players then I would have liked but still so far so good. I know there has kinda been a lot more home runs then last year and I don't know if maybe MLB went back to a juiced ball of maybe pitchers are just off to a rocky start who knows. I really hope though that there are at least as many 20 game winners as last year if not a hand full more. I look for Clayton Kershaw to compete for the AL Cy Young this year his first start was outstanding and tonight he makes his second, if only I had MLB extra innings I could watch it. Well thats all I got for now I will be back later to do my NBA picks for tomorrow and talk NBA playoffs as well as talk about the NCAA National title game from last night

No comments:

Post a Comment