Thursday, March 31, 2011

Opening Day

   Sorry it has been awhile since I have been able to post a lot going on this week with me and not that much going on sports wise a few NBA games true but I figured I should for sure get something in since today is opening day, which didn't disapoint one bit. The Yankees played the first game of the day on ESPN and it was a decent game a lot more offense than I expected in the first few innings with both teams having their ace on the mound. The Yankees had C.C. up there and he did pretty good going 6 innings giving up 3 runs (2 earned runs) off 6 hits 2 walks and 7 K's he didn't get the W though obviously cause he left when the game was tied at 3-3. The Tigers ace on the other had looked really good except for one hit which was the 3 run homerun, Verlander went 6 innings gave up 3 runs off 3 hits 4 walks and 8 K's also got a N/D cause he left with the game tied. It looks like the Tigers may have a bull pen problem as the year goes on, obviously the Yankees have some big bats but so do the Tigers. The Reds picked up right where they left off last year with the comeback walk off HR win, like we saw so many times from them last year. Last years NL MVP went 1-2 with a HR and 2 RBI's. This game wasn't on TV but it really seemed like the Brewers might be who everyone is saying they are and they just might come out on top in that division. I know they lost today to the Reds but still their starting pitcher had a quality outting going 6 innings giving up only 2 runs off 7 hits with 3 walks and 4 K's. The Reds big bats came through when it matter most, Hernandez had a great day going 4-5 with the walk off to cap it all off. Stubbs also had a great day going 2-5, I think Stubbs is going to have break out season this year so keep your eye on him. The Brewers did take a hit with Greinke starting the year on the DL but I look for them to have a big year as I said early possibly win the division. As far as the second game on ESPN the Cardinals and the Padres it looked like the Cards had a great shot at winning this one with their 1 remaining ace on the hill for them (with their other ace out with Tommy John) and he gave them 7 quality innings leaving with the game tied at 2, but the Cards big bats just couldnt get going today, and by big bats I mean Pujols who is an abouve .500 hitter on opening day, not today he wasn't he went 0-5 thats right 0-5 in their season opener. The best game of the night though was for sure the Giants v. Dodgers I say that because of the great pitching match up that we were in store for and niether pitcher disapointed that is for sure. I will start with the losing pitcher Lincecum, that's right folks he started out with a L, but he pitched flawlessly the only run he gave up was unearned he went 7 innings gave up 1 unearned run off 5 hits with 3 walks and 5 K's. The Dodgers ace Clayton Kershaw was really on his game and I look for him to make a legit run and the AL Cy Young this year remember that come the end of the season. But he went 7 innings gave up no runs off 4 hits with 1 walks 9 K's, I have him on 2 of my fantasy teams and I was reading about him and they were saying his strike outs have been there last year with 223 strike outs, the only thing they were worried about was his walks and he seems to have that under control in the start of the season lets hope he keeps it up.

   That's all I got for todays games I will now give my picks for tomorrows games. The Astros v. the Phillies and when Docs on the mound for the Phillies it makes it really hard to pick against them, even with all the injuries they have to deal with I don't see Doc losing tomorrow. I know they are without their closer but with Doc and Lee in there for the first 2 games you might not even need a bull pen and thats the truth, Phillies win. The Pirates v. the Cubs and I know I have been big on the Cubs all spring and they have Dempster going for them I just am a little worried about their offense I think the Pirates aren't the gratest but will surprise a lot of people. That being said I think Ryan Dempster handles the start great and the Cubs win. The White Sox v. the Indians, and since this isn't the Indians of old I am going to have to go with the White Sox here. Also the White Sox should be just as good as they were last year I know that rest on Peavy's health but they should be fine with their offense, White Sox win. The Red Sox v. the Rangers and everyone knows that the Rangers are my team and I love picking my team to win every game. That being said the Sox have their ace Jon Lester on the mound for them who has been lights out the past 2 years, but the Rangers have such a great offense, but wait so do the Sox. Haha sorry about that I am going to just have to go with the Rangers here I know that Lester is more proven then Wilson but that doesn't mean Wilson can't get even better this year, plus look at the lineup he has behind him and the improved defense, RANGERS WIN!! The D-Backs v. the Rockies, now a lot of people I have been talking to have the Rockies sneaking away and winning that division and I could see it happening too if Jimenez can be consistant this year that could be a very scary thing for other teams, especially with that offense also so many people have been saying the D-Backs will be no good, I am taking the Rockies to win. Twins v. the Blue Jays and now that the Twins are healthy it is going to be tough for me to pick against them when going against a team like the Jays, now don't get me wrong the Blue Jays will have great offense this year but lets see how their pitching and bull pen fair, Twins win. The Mets v. the Marlins and while the Marlins are young they have soo much talent its hard to count them out in any game this year. They have a solid ace in Johnson and now they just need to get their young guys to mesh together and they could be a dangerous team, Marlins win. The Orioles v. the Rays, and I know the Rays gave up a lot last year but like I have said Manny is back to his old self which should scare a lot of people and they have the Talent to be great they just need their new Bull pen to show up and be consistant, Rays win. The Angels v. the Royals and Haren is on the mound for the Angels so I am going to take them to win their second straight on the way to what may be a season opening sweep. The Mariners v. the A's and while they both have ace's on the hill, the A's have Cahill an 18 game winner last year but the Mariners have who was it again...? O YEAH King Felix on the hill last years best pitcher and I don't see him falling off anytime soon, espeically with the little bit of offensive upgrade they got, not to mention I think this year Smoak will break out to what everyone thought he should be, M's win. The Giants and Dodgers face off again for game 2 of the series and I think that this should be a good pitching match up as well but I have the Giants taking this one, although I hope the Dodgers get a great outting from Billingsly cause he is on my fantasy team.


  I know there is not basketball in this post I am saving that for tomorrow sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment