Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Back and Forth

    College basketball this year has been crazy to say the least. I know that everyone has been saying the one and done rule has drained all the talend in the NCAA, which might be true but at least we get one year of them instead of none. This also makes for closer games and what will make for probably the most exciting tournament we have seen in a long time. I am just saying I know that the one seeds look strong but really no one has been THAT great of a team. You could make a case for OSU but I really can't buy them there are split with both Wisconson and Purdue and the only other top 25 teams they beat were Minnesota twice but we now know that Minnesota isn't who we thought they were. Also they beat Florida but at the very start of the year where Florida didn't know exactly who they were if you ask me they are a totally different team now. I thinkg that in a tournament setting they might not be able to do as well as people think. I mean don't get me wrong I have them going to the final 4 heck I even have them beating Purdue in the finals by 2 in one of my brackets. Which is one of my best one I think so I will go ahead and let you know who I picked from that one.

   For the REAL first round I got OSU, G. Mason, WVU, Kentucky, Marquette, Syracuse, Washington, and UNC coming out of the East. For the Wests first round winners I have Duke, Tennessee, Arizona, Texas, Cincy, Uconn, Temple, and SDSU. As far as the South East goes well I have Pitt, ODU, Kansas St, Belmount, St. Johns, BYU, MSU, and Florida. Now over to the South West portion where I am taking Kansas, Illinois, Vandy, Louisville, Georgetown, Purdue, Texas A&M, and Norte Dame. Ok now we are in the second round where I am taking OSU, Kentucky, Syracuse, and UNC to advance, Washington is good and I know they are older then UNC but I think UNC's talent level is so high and they got their tournament jitters out in the ACC tourney, now they are ready to go (knock on wood!). The West second round I have Duke, Texas, Uconn, and SDSU no need to explain myself there I would hope. On to the next one which is the South East where I have Pitt, Kansas St, BYU, and Florida now I know ODU has been a trendy pick here seeing as how they crash the boards hard just like Pitt only ODU leads the country in rebounding deferential and scoring defense. Also Pitt has been known to choke in the tourney in the past so if you want to go with ODU here you could get rewarded with a win. Anyways back to the picks and the South West region where I have Kansas, Louisville, Purdue, and Notre Dame the Georgetown game might be tough if Wright is playing at his highest level but still Purdue has two star players who to me are the college version of Westbrook and Durrant, I am talking of course about E twuan Moore and Jujuan Johnson. If they aren't college basketballs Westbrook and Durrant then nobody is.

   Ok now we get into the more paid attention to rounds starting with the sweet 16. So coming out of the east advancing to the elite 8 I have OSU, and UNC I am not sure that OSU will get past Kentucky they have shown signs of greatness this year but also shown signs of their young age and also lack of depth seeing as how Calipari only plays 6 guys unless he is forced to do otherwise. OSU also isn't that deep as far as big men go either I guess you could say this one is a toss up I just like the age of OSU here. Now on to the West where I have Duke, and SDSU this one is really tough for me I know they say Irving will be back and in a limited roll but you have to figure by this point he and the team are used to eachother again and are looking like the Duke of the start of the year. That being said I have a really tough time taking Duke to beat Texas I have it in this bracket but not in any of my others, I'll tell you what I think and let you pick for yourself. I have loved Duke all year and if you read my college hoops stuff you would know that. However they lack consistant inside presence to say the least. I know that with Irving back they won't have to rely on the big men as much but still I think Texas' big men are outstanding especially Tristan Thompson also they have Richard Hamilton and Balbay who is a great defender. To me Texas is the perfect match up to take Duke out, but for some reason I took Duke maybe their age is why but if your lookin for another upset pick I would for SURE go with Texas over Duke here. Now the South East region I have Kansas State, and Florida advancing. I know that is a shocker probably for everyone reading Kansas state over Pitt your saying to yourself whats this guy thinking? Well the fact is that guard play and experience can go a very long way in this tournament and Kansas state has outstanding guard play with Pullen out there and they were in the elite 8 last year so I am going with a huge upset pick here and taking them over Pitt. Plus like I said you may even have ODU here if you do take Kansas state still. Like I said Pitt just has a way of falling apart when ther pressures on, if your saying well that was then this is now look at the big east tourney. Everyone knew Kemba was getting that shot and they choked and switched up off the screen just like Uconn wanted. Even before that Uconn missed the shot at first and Pitt the best rebounding team couldn't even pull down the board. Now we are finally getting somewhere the elite 8 where I have OSU v. UNC and while I really love UNC and I think that if they did face OSU they would give them a lot of trouble I am just having a tough time taking such young guys who we aren't really 100% about I mean they all have to play at their highest level all 6 games and I just don't know if they can....wait a minute what am I saying this is the perfect match up for UNC if you ask me and I am taking them to advance to the final four over the overall number one seed in OSU. Next up we have Duke v. SDSU where I have the upset pick again winning this one thats right Steve Fishers Aztecs are making it to the final four. I just think that their inside presence and defense will be to much for Duke, SDSU has been playing some of the best team basketball all year and just cause they are in the MWC people don't take notice. Which brings me to my next point the Mountain West was so much stronger this year then in years past there is no way anyone can say different. We had the Lobo's, CSU, UNLV, BYU, and of course SDSU all are good teams and all are great competition for the other. Plus I have faith in Steve Fisher and his coaching, I mean look what he has done with the program already. Next up is Florida v. Kansas State where I have Kansas state advancing and being last years Butler in likes of getting this far. The reason I am going this way is cause I don't think Florida is a true 2 seed I know they are a much better team now then at the start of the year. I know they have experience and age on their side and also have 3 great player. Still the fact remains that so does Kansas State and I like Pullen better, especially on the big stage.  Next is Purdue v. Kansas and I know that with this pick I am taking no #1 seeds to the final four and blah blah blah, but I am taking Purdu over Kansas here. I know that at the start of this I said I have OSU winning but as you know I just changed that pick cause I took UNC to beat them in the elite 8, sorry I just really started to think of the match up and I think it favors UNC a little more.

    All that being said here is one of my final fours, the one I think that is most likely to happen. Well actually it depends on Kyrie Irving and how well he mixes in with the team. Anyways here my final four I have UNC v. SDSU and Purdue v. Kansas State. For the first match up I know that the Aztecs match up great with the Tarheels and so do the coaches but for some reason I just think that this Tarheels team is only going to get better every game the play. They have learned from every loss and I expect them to bounce back strong after the way they performed in the ACC tourney. I know its a risky pick I would even take SDSU here if you aren't so sure about the Tarheels cause the Aztecs will match up well and it will be a very close game this one is a toss up but I am taking the Heels. Then in the other match up we have Purdue v. Kansas State where I am of course taking Purdue to take that one home on the back of Jujuan Johnson,  E twuan will have a great game but JuJuan will be the difference maker. that brings up to the National championship game of UNC v. Purdue and with that being said I think the UNC's talent takes them all the way to the top of that ladder to cut down those nets. I know that is kinda a crazy bracket I just think there really hasn't been a clear cut #1 team all year and I know OSU has looked great but they haven't really played the toughtest of games and I just think that the talent is so even that its hard to go with anyone as a sure thing.


   I will have more NBA stuff tonight as well as baseball stuff of course. Well I am off to finish watching the Red Sox v. Braves game.

No comments:

Post a Comment