Monday, January 31, 2011

?-0 this week

    I am starting to think that me taking the weekend off is a good luck for teams i am pulling for during the weekend. Last weekend it was the Knicks and this weekend it was the Lobos and the Mav's, of course the Knicks win last weekend was big but this win for the Lobos was huge I know it was at home in the Pit but handing #9 BYU their 2nd loss of the season was awesome. The Mav's had a huge win this weekend over a good Hawks team, that was their 4th in a row and tonights win over the Wizards was their 5th, they will be tested in the next 2 games though they will have to go to New York and to Boston and come away with wins if they want to continue this streak, and i believe they will especially if Tyson Chandler continues to play the way he has been over the last couple games, and Dirk gets back to his old self (which i think he just might be, tonight he had 24 points which is a good sign) I think also once Stojakovic gets in the lineup things will only get better. I will get back to basketball a little later.

    While me not writing this weekend (not by choice if I could have I would have posted at least once a day with all that was going on in sports this weekend.) brought luck to most of the "good guys" this weekend it sure was no where near Tiger. As you probably read my last post on Friday I was saying how I thought that there was no way that Tiger wouldn't come back and be the old Tiger, and I stand by that statement I am sure he will be back to his old self at some point this year. Does that mean I think he will be the exact same Tiger just dominating every tournament he plays in, no I don't think that will be the case, but I know that he is too good at what he does and too competitive at heart for him to settle with being that guy that is there just to collect a pay check. I think that the way he started this tournament was a great sign of whats to come in the future. I think all the pressure and speculations and all the people questioning his greatness really has him second guessing himself and I really think in the past year and half or however long its been I think he has forgotten just how great he can be, and I think once he gets that first win everyone better watch out cause he might just go on a tear. Also just wanted to say another golfer i am super excited about and is becoming one of my new favorite golfers i Rickie Fowler, young guy but has a great game if he can stay focused this year I really see him doing good things. Obviously Vegas has been playing outstanding golf and he too will be worth keeping an eye on this season.

     It was the NBA's first Sunday games on ABC this weekend, talk about two great games, they don't get much better then the Heat v. the Thunder and the Celtics v. the Lakers. I think I was a little more excited for the first game then for the second, only because they are two of the most exciting teams to watch. The game did not disapoint by any means, just as one team seemed to get something going the other team would get it in gear and grab the lead back, the Heat's big 3 might have been a little rusty at the start of the game since it was the first time they had all played together since Jan. 12th and it showed maybe not so much on the offensive end, but they were kinda shakey defensively too but they managed to weather the storm and take a 3 point lead into half time, although to me it seemed the Thunder had the better first half. I believe it was last week after the Heat lost to the Knicks I was talking about why they keep going to Chalmers for game winners, I am not trying to take anything away from the guy but in my eyes if its not going to be any of the big 3 then why wouldn't you make it Eddie House, I believe he did recently miss one but I still like my odds with House, to me that's just what he does best he is to good of a shooter to miss more then he would make in that situtation especially cause the other team will have to pay most attetion to the big 3 giving House more then likely a very good look. That is what happened Sunday and Eddie nailed the shot, just like I see him doing many more times this season, and if he continues to play with these guys maybe a season or two more who knows. In a game that really could have gone either way I really think that the Thunder struggling to knock down their field goal attempts came back to haunt them in the end. They ended up shooting 40% from the field where as Miami shot 52% I really think this was a big reason they lost, cause also with all those misses a lot of those are gunna turn into rebounds for the other team which then creates other chances for them to score. I think this was a huge win for the Heat, for one it was a close game and they are horrible in games decided by 8 points or less if I am not mistaken i believe they are now 2-8 in those games, Sunday being their 2nd one. That really was the biggest reason another one could be now they have a little bit more trust from the big 3 towards the other guys that are gunna have to step up at the end of games to hit those big shots. The second game of the day was the rematch of last years NBA finals and of the 08 finals. The Lakers really started out great in this game but as the game wore on I think the Celtics started to want it a little more then the Lakers did, to me one way to really see if that is the case (other than watching the game) is to check out who won the battle on the glass, who ever won the rebounding battle to me is the team that wanted it more. I know the Celtics have a lot of big guys, but so do the Lakers and yes I know that Odom is more of an outside shooter but that doesn't mean he can't pull down some more rebounds. I think that Bynum should really focus more on pulling down rebounds on the offensive and defensive ends. Gasol, Bynum, and Odom combined for 18 rebounds where as KG, Shaq, and Perk combined for 25 and those guys did it in less minutes then the big men for the Lakers. I think that if the Lakers are gunna 3-peat Pau will need to play like he was at the start of the season and then as far as Bynum goes once he is back 100% healthy I really hope he plays to his full potential.

  Ok and now for my picks for tomorrows 4 NBA games, just in case you didn't know the title of this post is in reference to what my record is going to be this week although I hope I didn't jinx myself by being so cocky. You know what they say...You can't win 'em all unless you win the first one, so without further adieu my first 4 picks of the week. The Wizards are on the road seeking their first road win of the season against the Hornets, the way that the Hornets are playing lately and the way the Wizards play on the road makes this one an easy call for me, I'll take the Hornets over the Wizards in order for the Wizards to have any chance in this game they need Blatche to get out of this mini slump he is in and get back to where he was a few weeks ago. Next is the team with the NBA's best record this season the Spurs travel to Portland to take on the Trailblazers in what should be a good game I know the Blazers have been hit hard by injury but they play decent defense and try and get as much offense as they can with Roy and Camby out, still the way Tony Parker and the Spurs as a whole are playing its really hard to pick against them which is why I am going with the road team and taking the Spurs over the Blazers. The Celtics fresh off the big win in L.A. now travel to Sac town to play the Kings, now that the Celtics have Perk back I think it just makes them that much better, also Shaq coming back the healthy this team is the more dangerous they are, obviously they are dangerous without the guys they added in the offseason but once West and J. O'Neal get out there everyone else better watch out, sorry a little off topic there I am taking the road team in this one as well Celtics over the Kings. Last game on the schedule for tomorrow is the Rockets v. the Lakers in L.A. the Rockets are a much better team then people give them credit for this year, they have had some great wins although the Lakers are coming off a big big loss to the Celtics and I think it really opened their eyes in a way that hopefully lit a fire under their butts for once this season and I am hoping we see a much more driven much more focused Laker team then we have been seeing as of late, I think the rest of the Lakers need to take a page out of Blake Griffin's playbook and just play every game like it was their last, if they did that they would no doubt in my mind 3-peat I look for a new Laker team to show up tomorrow and I am taking them to win big at home. One more quick note as far as the Laker are concerned I know they need more agressive play from Bynum and Gasol but also they need Artest and Fisher to start putting up more points, because Kobe can't do it all himself, yes Bynum and Gasol are great optition inside but your gunna need more points from out side shooters, if Artest was playing like this last year there is no way L.A. wins the title. Anyways im rambling but thats all for today. Tomorrow I'll be on in the morning to do my 2nd superbowl post as well as talk college hoops a lot more.

No comments:

Post a Comment