Tuesday, February 15, 2011

The $300,000,000 Man

    Let me ask you this real quick...If the economy wasn't where it is right now would this Pujols contract seem so ludacris? I think we can all agree that he is the best player playing the game right now if not in the top 3 that is for sure. Also he is WAYY better then A-Rod who is currently the highest paid player per year i think it's something like $27.5 million a year. I know that maybe ten years is a stretch since Pujols is already 31 years old and would be 41 at the end of a 10 year deal. I know that when getting into the later years of your 30's could spell trouble for power hitter. But this is a guy who never did steroids, how obviously keeps amazingly great care of his body, and who is one of the best left handed hitters of all time. If Jim Thome can produce in his 40's I don't see why Pujols wouldn't be able to as well. All that being said I still wouldn't give him the 10 year deal, I would however give him the $30 million a year for 7 years with maybe an option for 1 or 2 more for maybe lets say $19 million a year with added cash for a certain number of plate appearances, certain number of homeruns, batting average and then obviously the usual MVP, or homeruns in the playoffs those types of incentives in the two year option part just so that way if he still deserves the 25-30 million a year he will earn it in a time where he most likely will be less consistent. I mean if the Cardinals fail to get a deal done with Pujols it would be like the Yankees not getting Jeter back, only much worse for the club as far as production goes. There is no way that the Cardinals lineup is half as effective without Pujols in it than it is with him. I know that there are not many teams out there who can afford Pujols that need a first baseman, but a lot can happen in a year, people get hurt or traded or stop producing you never know. I know that you and I think that $30 million a year is ridiculous but if anyone should be the highest paid player in baseball it should be Pujols. The guys a machine let me just throw some number at you real fast, .331/.426/.624 that is batting average, on base %, and slugging %  not for last season but for his 9 year career I mean are you kidding me that is out of control good. PAY THE MAN seriously I know it will be a hit to the pocket books but really if you lose Pujols there is no way you can contend especially after we saw how shaky your team is when he is in a slump imagine if he isn't there at all?

No comments:

Post a Comment